Sunday, October 19, 2008

Creative Brief

Date: October 19th
Prepared by: Doug Weiss
Project name: Title Sequence
Design Lead:
Hand-off to Production: (mm/dd/yy) Product Release: (mm/dd/yy)



Project Concept
The purpose of this project is to engage the viewer and make them want to watch the rest of the movie. The title sequence can get me excited for a movie, like the opening credits for Stranger Than Fiction, or it can make me completely disinterested, like the credits ended up being for Kill Bill.

Objectives
The primary objective is to introduce the actors. This can be part of the engaging process, if you see that your favorite actor is in a movie than the viewer will be more likely to continue watching than if they had never heard of any of them. Also, the title sequence needs to fit the style of the movie, there is no justifying having opening credits that is dark and ominous when the film is light and happy. The title sequence needs to be visually appealing as well, no one wants to watch white text appear over a solid black background for a few minutes.

Audience
The audience for Kill Bill is typically a younger crowd, ranging from high school to late 20’s. Also, the movie might appeal to those into Japanese style fighting, with swords and knives.

Perception/Tone
The movie is all about violence and revenge. However, it is not ominous as most would think a violent/revengeful movie would be. The movies plot is strictly the title with a little bit extra, Kill Bill and all of his friends/associates. When I visualize this sequence I see three colors, yellow, red and black. Yellow for the main character, red for blood, and black for contrast and to still pull in a little bit of darkness.

Communication Strategy
The colors mentioned above are the colors that were chosen for the actual movie and I don’t want to copy that. I want to come up with something a little different and it might be to replace yellow because that is the most overpowering color choice in the design. But what’s hard is that the color yellow is used for a reason, and that is because it is important to the movie. Brainstorming and watching the movie again will be in the near future. The whole movie blood is splattered everywhere, so I want to play with the concept of blood intertwining with the credits. The audience the movie is targeted for tends to be intrigued by blood and violence. I feel that using the play between the idea of blood and the text on screen will appeal to the viewer and well as set the mood for the movie.

Competitive Landscape
One movie that I would say strongly ties to Kill Bill is Sin City. They both involve a lot of violence and revenge. Sin City however, is dark and ominous. Filmed in black and white with a hint of color the mood is completely different while the plot line is very similar.

Single-Minded Message
Kick ass and avenge your loved ones.

1 comment:

Anna Storkel said...

I am also doing Kill Bill (weird). But I agree with your creative brief that the movie is very bloody and filled with action. I had some similar ideas, with blood dripping and type. I think blood is a very graphic and rememberable image that will grab the viewers attention. Great job!